Thursday, June 15, 2006

Serious convictions

I was thinking of writing about my renewed anger over the horrible theft of the 2000 USA election after reading more about it in Greg Palast's "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy", ready to draw comparisons to the violent oppression of political opposition in the very places the Bush administration would seek to attack, but then by the time I got home I was too tired so I'm going to write about games instead.

I was going to write about games earlier this week, but I was too tired then. That's tired to the power of four (an extra power over Davina).

So, I like playing games, I like them a lot. I've been playing video games since my ZX Spectrum + back in the day (mid 80s, yes, that's officially the day) I've played with the Atari 2600, Amstrads, Commodores, PCs I wasn't aware had names, the Nintendo NES, Super NES, Gameboy, N64, Sega Master System, Megadrive, Mega CD, Game Gear, Playstation and Atari Lynx, and at the moment I own a Gameboy Advance SP, a Gamecube and an Xbox. With the slow, lingering death of the Gamecube, and to an extent, the Xbox, I've had the opportunity to get a lot of the games I've wanted to play for the systems cheaper than usual. However, this means I buy them when I see them rather than when I've finished the previous game so I now have a stack of unopened games as well as one of opened but unfinished games just taking up space and patiently waiting for the time when I bless them with my firm touch. I don't want to physically count said games as it will prove too alarming, but for a good idea I have a pile of opened Xbox games on my desk that I am in the middle of playing through. The pile includes 23 titles. There's more under the bed.

But why the chuff do I care about your games you now clearly geeky moneky fool?! I imagine you now say to yourselves out loud to your screen. Other people in the room look at you. If there's no-one there then what was that noise!.
Well, it's a human interest story, something comprehensible to all. It's about how I'm stupid.

I'm stupid because despite owning far too many games to probably finish playing them all this year even if I do it full time *breath* I have pre-ordered and will buy, next Friday, the Nintendo DS Lite, the newest iteration of the sexy Nintendo handheld that you touch to make it do things for you.
I know I have too many games, I know that I will spend precious little time using my new sleek black machine, but I'm going to buy it anyway because I am compulsive and cannot be stopped.

Like that, but black. Sexy.

By the way, to complete my ultimate collection I need Black and Rogue Trooper for the Xbox, but only cheap. Should you happen to see them cheap then let me know.
I can't be stopped.

Maybe next time I will talk about political things, maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment